IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING CORONAVIRUS CHANGES:
This page has not been fully updated following changes implemented for our reopening on 25th July. For the most up to date information please see our COVID Info page here.
If you're coming to visit us for the first time there are a few things you'll want to know. You should be able to find them out in these pages, but if we're missing any information you want to know please feel free to get in touch.
Planning your Visit
The Climbing Works offers bouldering facilities for adults, children and parents, first time climbers and some of the world's most elite climbers. We've got something for everyone!
This page is aimed at adults, and at juniors 14-17 years old, who wish to climb at our centres.
Not you? If you are a parent wanting to supervise children check out the First Visit page for the Mini Works instead.
If you are a competent climber with plenty of recent indoor bouldering experience then you don't need to do an induction. Our staff will ask you a few questions when you arrive to make sure they are happy with your climbing experience. Our typical minimum level of recent experience is to have climbed at least 6 times in the past 12 months, including on an indoor bouldering wall, so if this isn't the case then please contact us in advance to avoid disappointment.
Once registered as an Adult Unsupervised Climber you can sign in and supervise a maximum of two guests - adults or children.
To speed the process up on arrival you can complete a registration form in advance here.
Registration Fee: £3
New to Bouldering?
If you've never climbed before, or you have limited indoor bouldering experience you have 2 options:
- Attend a Bouldering Induction before you can register at the Climbing Works. This one-off session runs twice a week and needs to be booked and paid for in advance. Follow the link above to find out more about the course and to book your place. Once you've done the induction you can come and use the facilities at the Climbing Works and the Mini Works anytime we are open. Registering as an Adult Unsupervised Climber also allows you to supervise a maximum of two Novices.
Bouldering Induction Cost: £20
- Register as a Novice (£3 registration fee), then be signed in an supervised by a friend / relative who is an experienced adult climber. Once you've climbed with supervision at least 6 times inside a year and fully understand the rules and safety aspects of using a bouldering wall you can then register (for no additional cost) as an Adult Unsupervised Climber and climb without supervision.
14-17 years old
14 - 17 year olds can register as a Junior Unsupervised Climber (or Junior Climber). This means that they can climb without adult supervision at the Climbing Works & Mini Works.
Experienced junior climbers will need to complete an assessment before they can climb unsupervised. Please call us on 0114 250 9990 to arrange a slot. The assessment takes around 5-10 minutes.
- 14 & 15 year olds must be accompanied by their own parent / legal guardian to a junior assessment and need their parent / legal guardian to complete a registration form.
- 16 & 17 year olds just need their parent / legal guardian to complete a registration form before attending an assessment.
Junior Registration Fee: £3
New to Bouldering?
There are 2 options here:
- Give us a call or pop into the Climbing Works to book onto a Bouldering Induction. These run at the same time as our adult sessions, but at a reduced price for 14-17 year olds.
- 14 & 15 year olds must be accompanied by their own parent / legal guardian to a junior induction and need their parent / legal guardian to complete a registration form.
- 16 & 17 year olds just need their parent / legal guardian to complete a registration form before attending an induction.
- Junior Induction Cost: £15
- Register as a Novice (£3 registration fee), then be signed in an supervised by a friend or relative who is an Adult Unsupervised Climber or Mini Works Supervisor. Once you've climbed with supervision at least 6 times inside a year and fully understand the rules and safety aspects of using a bouldering wall you can arrange a Junior Assessment (£3 registration fee, details above in the Experienced Climber section) and register as a Junior Unsupervised Climber to climb without supervision.
If you would like to complete a registration form for an Adult Unsupervised Climber please follow this link.
Please make sure you read the Conditions of Use first.
Registration forms for Junior (14-17 year old) Unsupervised Climbers can be found using this link. They need to be filled out by the parent or legal guardian of the child registering.
Novices & Under 14s
All Under 14s and anyone with little or no climbing experience is considered to be a Novice and is unable to climb here unless supervised by an Adult Unsupervised Climber (including our coaches). Adults and 14 -17 year olds can also complete an Adult or Junior Induction to allow them to climb unsupervised as described above. An Adult Unsupervised Climber may supervise a maximum of 2 Novices in the centre at a time, or a single Under 5 Novice.
Adults who have completed a Supervisory Induction at the Mini Works and registered as Adult Supervisors may supervise a maximum of 2 Under 18 Novices at a time in the Mini Works only, or a single Under 5 Novice.
Novices must abide by all of our conditions of use but in particular:
be closely supervised at all times
not enter the matted areas unless accompanied by the supervising Adult Climber or Adult Supervisor
Novices are required to register on our entry systems to say that they (and their parents where applicable) understand that climbing is a sports with inherent risks , and will then be signed in on a day sign in sheet by the supervising Adult on each subsequent visit.