IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING CORONAVIRUS CHANGES:
This page has not been fully updated following changes implemented for our reopening on 25th July. For the most up to date information please see our COVID Info page here.
The Climbing Works is a bouldering centre spread over three buildings that provides climbing opportunities for young and old, beginner to elite, in a World class facility.
Wondering what bouldering is? Read our handy explanation here or watch the video tour of The Climbing Works below.
The Climbing Works opened in 2006 and was the World's largest bouldering centre for many years (it still is one of the largest in the World). It is a World-renowned bouldering centre of international significance and is the first UK bouldering centre to be awarded a National Performance Centre status by the BMC.
The Climbing Works prides itself on being the World's best bouldering centre and in providing a facility that caters for:
- Children taking their first climbing steps (read more about The Mini-Works here)
- Teenagers and adults exploring a new lifestyle sport
- Experienced climbers looking to enjoy climbing in a friendly environment with their friends, family and other climbers
- Elite climbers looking advance in the sport and test themselves on world class climbing problems.
If you want to keep up to date on the latest news within The Climbing Works, follow us on the below various Social Media channels - we are very nice, honest : )
Watch a video tour of The Climbing Works below and watch many more films about The Climbing Works on our Vimeo page:
Want to see the centre even closer up? Take a walk-through tour of The Climbing Works (2014) through Google Business street view:
- Opened at the start of December 2006 in Sheffield, UK.
- Expanded in 2013 with The Mini-Works - a new centre with a focus on younger children learning to climb.
- In total: 1500m² of indoor climbing surface in 2 buildings
- 12+ graded circuits, each consisting of 20-40 colour-coded boulder problems, usually reset every 3 months on a rolling basis on a variety of angles and wall shapes
- Huge dedicated Berghaus Competition Wall that is reset every few months in the Summer and every month during the Winter. Regularly 25-40 problems individually graded.
- The UK’s best training area including Beastmaker motherboard, campus board and a range of fingerboards.
- Regular winter competitions starting in November and climbing lectures (see event calendar )
A bit more info...
The Climbing Works is a dedicated indoor bouldering centre serving Sheffield, the Peak District and is a National Performance Centre and a wall of international significance.
The centre provides bouldering only facilities as this is a climbing activity that has grown in popularity of recent years and is an activity that can benefit every climber whatever their level, age or goals.
Due to the size of The Climbing Works and the nature of the design of the walls, we believe that we are able to cater for all customer requirements – from children trying climbing for the first time, to World Cup competitors preparing for international competition.
The Climbing Works offers some very easy climbing with dedicated beginners boulders and a large variety of easy to mid grade climbing for the more experienced climbers to use either as training or as part of their warm-up routine. All of the climbing surfaces feature reconfigurable holds including micro and macro features to create a constantly changing set of climbs.
The bouldering walls are a maximum of 4.5m above the landing surface ensuring that the walls conform to the relevant part of the forthcoming European Standard for bouldering walls (prEN 12572 –II).
The centre includes toilet and changing facilities for the comfort of our customers and a refreshment/spectator area situated adjacent to the main competition area of the climbing walls. An on-site cafe, serving hot drinks and snacks helps to provide an atmosphere that fosters the social aspect of the sport.