A National Performance Centre
We are very happy to announce that The Climbing Works has been awarded the title of 'A National Performance Centre' by the BMC. You can read a Press Release from the BMC on their website>>
The BMC state that
"National Performance Centre's (NPCs) will be flagship facilities in British climbing and operators will work closely with the BMC and the GB Climbing Team to run the facility not only as a successful climbing centre but also as a high standard competition climbing venue. NPCs will also have an important role in providing training facilities for GB Team members and top-end climbers."
The criteria is indeed long and detailed to become an NPC and can be read on the BMC website (document available here) but we won't go into all that here. Instead, below is a brief summary of some of the key points in The Climbing Works proposal to become a NPC:
- One of only 4 Gold Supporters of the GB Climbing Team (details here on The BMC website>>)
- The 2014 British Bouldering Championships took place at The Climbing Works in July (read the article here and watch the highlights film below)
- The Climbing Works International Festival (CWIF) is the biggest annual international climbing competition taking place in the U.K. and attracts a large crowd who watch the Semi's & Final on the Berghaus Competition wall.
- The Berghaus Competition wall allows Senior, Junior and upcoming stars to train on a Competition wall (and problems) that could be found on the IFSC World Cup circuit.
- The Climbing Works is still the one of the largest bouldering walls in the World and one which has an excellent international reputation (oooh look at us!!)
How will this good news effect our regular climbing members and The Climbing Works in general? Well not that much really. We will continue as normal to provide high quality problems for climbers of all ages and of all levels. We believe in setting quality problems for those starting climbing on Font 3+ right up to those climbing Font 8b+. We will continue to set regularly and look to improve our centre whenever we can. Indeed, in the coming month we will have some more improvements to our training area near the Campus boards which should benefit all our members.
The CIWF 2014: A packed crowd watch Chloe Caulier (BEL) in the Finals
The title of a National Performance Centre is one we are very welcome to receive as like any title it not only reflects the future but the past. We - cheeses, staff, coaches, friends - have all worked hard over the years to create a bouldering centre that you - our customers, partners, sponsors - can be proud of and happy to be associated with. The title is indeed a very nice 'pat on the back' and is gratefully received by all of us here. We will use it to help promote our sport to a wider audience and further encourage us to keep pushing what & how we do it.
Right back in the day!! Jacky Godoffe sets something thin during the very first set of problems ever put up in The Climbing Works in November 2006.
Thanks to all who have contributed to The Climbing Works over the years. We look forward to living up to this title for many years.
N.B.For those climbing in Sheffield you are indeed lucky with two National Performance Centre's and a historically important and World famous lead wall - The Foundry - and an elite training facility - The Moon School room. Not to mention the unique and superb Peak District on our doorstep.
N.B.#2 You can help celebrate this, and another year, with us at our annual birthday party on Friday 12th December 2014. It will, of course, be another big one : ) Details to follow in November but the venue is very close to last years in Sheffield city centre.
Take a tour of The Climbing Works, via Google, below