This is the session for all those who are 18 or over with no experience of bouldering who wish to come and use The Climbing Works unsupervised. The course consists of one and a half hours tuition with one of our qualified instructors, and focuses on how to use the climbing walls safely. This course is obligatory if you would like to use The Climbing Works but have never climbed before. Once you have done this session, you are free to use the centre when ever you like unsupervised, and can also sign in and supervise other climbers.
Monday 7.30pm – 9.00pm
Sunday 10.30am – 12.00pm
£20 per person
Including registration fee, equipment hire and instruction
Sessions need to be booked a minimum 2 days before
BEGINNERS - Improvers
ABC's of Climbing
These sessions are ideal for those who have just completed their induction course and those climbing within the current greens, reds and green and pink spots. Not only will you receive FREE tuition from our coaches on a set of specifically chosen topics but it’s also a great way to meet new people and have some fun.
Sunday Mornings @ 10.30am - 12.00pm ( from 5th January )
Monday Evenings @ 7.30am - 9.00pm (from 3rd February)
The 8 topics covered will be:
- Movement and Balance (5th Jan / 3rd Feb)
- Route Reading (12th Jan / 10th Feb)
- Footwork (19th Jan / 17th Feb)
- Hold Identification (26th Jan / 24th Feb)
- Steep Ground (2nd Feb / 3rd Mar)
- Taking on the circuits - Level 1 (current Greens) (9th Feb / 10th Mar)
- Taking on the circuits - Level 2 (current Reds) (16th Feb / 17th Mar)
- Taking on the circuits - Level 3 (current Green and Pink spots) (23rd Feb / 24th Mar)
After 8 weeks the topics we will rotate back to the beginning. Climbers are welcome to stay on the sessions until they feel that they are ready to move on.
Adult Improver Classes
These sessions are ideal for those climbing the middle grade circuits (current pinkles, blacks and yellows). Our coaches will teach you the essential skills required to progress onto those harder circuits. Our trademark coaching all takes place within a friendly and supportive class which is another great way to meet other climbers.
Wednesday Evenings @ 7.30pm - 9.00pm (from 8th January)
The 8 topics covered will be:
- Route Reading – moving on from the basics taught in the ABC classes (8th Jan)
- Slab Techniques (15th Jan)
- Arêtes and Volumes (22nd Jan)
- Undercuts and Gastons (29th Jan)
- Steep Ground – moving on form the basics taught in the ABC classes (5th Feb)
- Taking on the circuits – Level 3 (current pinkles) (12th Feb)
- Taking on the circuits – level 4 (current blacks) (19th Feb)
- Taking on the circuits – level 5 (current yellows) (26th Feb)
Cost for either the ABC or Improver Class is just your normal entrance fee. No extra cost for the session.
There is no need for prior booking, just turn up on the night and listen for the announcement.
Classes have been both very popular and very successful, with many regulars seeing their climbing grade shoot up.
For a more personal session, you can book a private Adult Improver class for 4-6 climbers with one of our instructors.
£15 per person (includes instructor for 1.5 hour session plus entrance to The Climbing Works for the evening)
One to One coaching
Once you have learnt to use our bouldering walls, you are free to come and climb whenever you like. However, for those who would like to learn new skills and techniques, or if you just want to get all the problems in one circuit finished and progress to the next level of difficulty, then our coaching sessions are for you. All adult coaching is done on a relaxed and friendly basis by our team of professional coaches.
You can also book a one-to-one coaching session in order to get a more personalised training plan.
Our coaches can also provide the following specific training sessions if needed:
- Comp style problem training
- On sighting
- Campus Board work and Fingerboard training
- Head games